DIY this moon phase decoration in just a few easy steps: Bring the magic of the universe into your home with this wall hanging.
What you need:
- Black FIMO modeling clay (oven hardening)
- Round cookie cutter (approximately 5 cm)
- Chain (approximately 40 cm)
- 14 x eyelets (7 mm)
- Flat nose pliers (to loosen and close the eyelets)
- Pincers (to cut the chain)
- Light acrylic paint (eg silver)
- Sponge stamp (to apply the color)
- Small knife
- Wooden sticks
- Nail & hammer
How it works:
Step 1 // Shape the moons
Roll out the modeling clay until it’s about 3-5 mm thick. Use your hands or a glass bottle. Be aware: The black clay does stain your hands and surfaces a little bit.
Now take the cookie cutter and create the moon phases:
- 1 x full moon (1 circle)
- 2 x half moons (1 circle, cut in half)
- 2 x waning/waxing moon (2 circles, cut off a small crescent on both sides)
- 2 x crescent moon (2 circles, cut out a crescent from each circle)
Smoothen the edges and surfaces of the moons with your fingers. Take a wooden stick and poke a hole on the top and bottom of each moon. The bottom crescent moon only gets one hole at the top!
Step 2 // Harden moon phases
Place all moon phases on a baking tray with parchment paper. Bake the clay for 30 minutes at 110 degrees.
Let the clay cool down after baking and take them off the parchment paper.
Step 3 // Color moon phases
Use the sponge to cover the moon phases with a thin layer of acrylic paint. Once that layer is dried, add some more details with your colors.
Step 4 // Cut chain
Use the pincers to cut 6 chains with the length of 5 cm each. The rest of the chain will be used to hang our moon phase chain.
Step 5 // Eyelets
Open the eyelets with the pliers and thread the moon phases and chain through. Close the eyelets with the pliers and continue this step until your phases are in order and the chain is complete. Apply the longest chain to the top moon phase and add the last eyelet to the end of the chain.
Step 6 // Decorate
And just like that, the moon phase chain is done and we’re ready to decorate! Hammer a nail into a wall and hang the chain by placing the top eyelet on the nail.